The Bandroom – A History (1926-2016) – Chapter 4 Railway Neighbours 1960 – 1980
The Vale of Rheidol railway, although fenced off, ran in front of the bandroom from 1926 until Easter 1968.
The band players had to access the bandroom along a path which led from Park Avenue alongside the main cattle market building.
In the photograph below we can see passengers and crew boarding a train that’s preparing to depart for Devil’s Bridge hauled by no. 8 Llewelyn.
On the other side of the bandroom boundary wall was the platform formerly used by main line trains to Carmarthen which lasted until 1965, the year of its closure. That dedicated platform and track for southbound trains was taken over by the Vale of Rheidol railway soon after.
by Peter Henley