The Bandroom – A History (1926 – 2016) Chapter 1 – 1926 – 1939
Previous to 1926 the town band relied on the use of a rehearsal room in the enclosed skating rink next to Capel y Morfa opposite the former town hall, now Ceredigion Library. It never was satisfactory and being in a residential area they suffered regular complaints following their rehearsals.
The decision was made by the Aberystwyth Borough Council to build a new band hall on the perimeter of the town in Smithfield, an area
well known previously for its many foundries, smithies and slaughterhouse. The benevolent Aberystwyth Borough town council, from its funds, built the current bandroom dedicating its use to the town band.
Also funds were raised by the people of the town towards the purchase of a complete set of silver plated brass instruments and percussion for the players.
With great ceremony, the dignitaries of the town posed with the band outside the entrance to the hall in that inaugural year of 1926.
The band continued successfully as the Aberystwyth Silver band under the baton of Cornelius Campbell Richardes with the Honorary Conductor being the local bookshop keeper and Musician Jack Edwards.
by Peter Henley