The Bandroom 1926 – 2016 Chapter 9 1980 – 2016
For many years the interior of the bandroom changed little. At one point in the 1980s the original wooden flooring was replaced by a waterproofed concrete and tiled floor by Ceredigion County Council following flooding. They took possession of the building from the defunct Aberystwyth borough corporation during the county reorganisation in the 1970s. In the 1990s the Council also fitted a new roof and modern facia bargeboards.
In 2006 the developers of the car park and the Ystwyth retail park altered the entrance to the building from the east wall to the west and included a modern porch.
Photos show a Cambrian News article following a refurbishment in November 2001;
Before the redevelopment of the car park and Bandroom entrance began, the band is seen on November 14th 2004 before the leading the annual Remembrance Day parade;
2006 during rehearsal with the Aberystwyth Silver Band, under the baton of the Musical Director Geraint Evans;
Showing the new Entrance and porch ollowing the new development including Pets at Home, the band gathers for a photograph before marching off to lead the Remembrance Parade in November 2008;
There have been many happy occasions taking place in the bandroom; one example on May 10th 2011 was the presentation of gifts and certificates by the Musical Director Geraint Evans to Tomos Wells and Harvey Hassan on the eve of their departure from the band to continue their studies in London.
Incidentally, since the bandroom was built in 1926 there have been twenty six permanent Conductors of the Aberystwyth Silver Band to 2016.
By Peter Henley